CFA Institute Conference: Fixed-Income Management 2016
What will be the lasting legacy of unconventional monetary policy? Are there limitations to the efficacy of these unique and untested policy actions? How will investors respond to the growing prevalence of negative nominal interest rates? Can interest rates and central bank balance sheets normalize and if so to what natural level? How will politics and fiscal policy impact economic and financial market landscape? What are the major risks facing the global economy and financial markets? Are we entering a new paradigm for the future and what fixed-income strategies adapt well to a changing environment?
With myriad fundamental questions lingering in today’s global debt markets, there is an increased need for savvy bond investors who have the skills and insights to thrive in a new and different economic environment and deliver value to investors.
At Fixed-Income Management 2016, leading practitioners will navigate through what’s happening in global bond markets; take a closer look at the long-term effects of Central Bank policies and the path of growth in developed and emerging economies; and discover where leading investors are finding opportunities, value, and protection against uncertainty.
Covering practical topics that focus on fixed income sectors, security selection, and portfolio construction, this year’s conference brings together researchers, analysts, portfolio managers, and top strategists to focus on:
- The sustainability of growth: Are current growth levels in developed and emerging markets sustainable? What are the obstacles to higher growth? What are the downside risks?
- The impact of China: Can China manage effectively through the middle income transition? Is slower growth in China a structural change, and how will it affect major markets?
- Politics and policy: What are the effects of political fragmentation globally? How are they countered by the possibility of policies (fiscal, trade, or tax) that could work to accelerate US and world growth?
- Bond market dynamics and liquidity: Is bond market liquidity permanently different? What are the effects of regulation on bond market functioning?
- Commodities as a source of volatility: Will oil and commodities markets continue to drive market volatility?
- Credit and high yield strategies: Should we be concerned about a bubble in credit?
- Emerging markets: What are the risks to emerging markets from a stronger US dollar? Is emerging market debt a value trap or a compelling opportunity?
- Currencies: What’s next for the US dollar, currencies, and gold? Portfolio management: Where will investors find the greatest opportunities in a range of fixed income sectors—from distressed debt and emerging markets debt to inflation-linked bonds, corporate credits, and more?
- Risk management: How can investors prepare for greater uncertainty?
View the Fixed-Income Management 2016 brochure (PDF)
CFA Institute CE Credit: Qualifies for 11.5 credit hours. For CFA Institute members, these credit hours will be updated automatically in your online CE tracking tool. This conference will be submitted to NASBA for credit review and may also qualify for continuing education credit from other organizations (e.g., the CFP Board and IIROC).
Read more about Fixed-Income Management on Enterprising Investor.
Private Wealth Management
Standards, Ethics, and Regulations (SER)
Axel Merk is president and CIO of Merk Investments and manager of the Merk Funds. He is a recognized expert on the global economy, monetary policy, and international investing. An authority on currencies, including gold, Mr. Merk is a pioneer in the use of strategic currency investing to seek diversification and portable alpha and has been named the “Currency Guru” by Morningstar. He is a regular guest on CNBC, FoxBusiness, and Bloomberg, and his thoughts and interviews frequently appear in the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, Barron’s, Forbes, and other financial media around the world. Mr. Merk is a sought-after speaker at industry conferences, universities, government organizations, and think tanks on topics ranging from the economy, gold, and currencies to sustainable wealth and personal finance. Mr. Merk, together with the Merk portfolio team, manages the Merk Hard and Absolute Return Currency Funds, as well as the VanEck Merk Gold Trust. He holds a BA in economics and a MS. in computer science from Brown University. Back To Top ^^
$1,295 (CFA Institute Members/CFA Program Candidates/CIPM Certificants & Candidates/Claritas Certificants & Candidates) | $1,595 (Non-Member) | $1,045 (Group; 3 Delegate minimum; Additional discounts do not apply)
|As a participant in the CFA Institute Approved-Provider Program, the CFA Society of Los Angeles has determined that this program qualifies for 11.5 credit hours. If you are a CFA Institute member, CE credit for your participation in this program will be automatically recorded in your CE Diary.|