Data Visualization and Business Analytics with Microsoft Power BI
Strong data culture is a sine qua non for organizations in the digital age, and proprietary data insights are becoming the most important asset for all organizations. Firms that are invested in crafting a compelling, authentic narrative from their data are uniquely positioned to establish enduring brands and thrive in all market environments. When it comes to communicating such insights for business objectives, a striking data visualization cannot be beat.
During a single day, participants will explore an extensible data visualization framework (Microsoft Power BI) that allows finance and business professionals to create reports and dashboards that leverage their existing data products. Participants will learn how to gather relevant data from sample spreadsheets, overcome data preparation obstacles, and build an interactive dashboard that they can publish to the web.
This course uses Power BI because Power BI is the uncontested leader in the sector as illuminated by Gartner’s Analytics and Business Intelligence Platform Magic Quadrant.
At the conclusion of the workshop, participants will have developed their own web dashboard that they can readily adapt to their own professional contexts, and which they can then use to obtain better insights into their own work and/or share it with their co-workers.
WHAT THIS COURSE OFFERS
- Hands-on data visualization experience Microsoft Power BI and its Power Query engine
- Every participant leaves with a working dashboard that they can connect to their organization’s data sources
- Insights on how best to automate tedious data workflows with web dashboards
- Overview of data sourcing, preparation, and visualization pitfalls
- Course notes, certificate of completion, and post-seminar email support for 1 year
- An engaging and practical training approach with a qualified instructor with relevant technical, business, and educational experiences
The target audience for this course is finance and business professionals, but the skills we teach here are transferable across many disciplines. If any of the following points apply to you, you will most likely find this course useful:
- In my current role, I spend a lot of time creating reports and/or surfacing the insights they contain.
- I often need to copy and paste data between different Excel spreadsheets to build simple charts on top of it.
- I’m responsible for manually updating the data sources for my team’s regular snapshots and briefs, and want to reclaim that time.
- I want to conduct my organization’s, team’s, or own personal work more effectively by becoming more data-driven.
- I always want to have a current view on certain key metrics for which my company already stores relevant data.
- I want to learn how to incorporate data design and visualization principles into my core practice as a professional.
There are no prerequisites for this course, however, Mac users will need to install and use Windows on their Mac (through a virtual environment, etc) as Power BI is only compatible with Windows.
Attendees may use a PC or Mac to access slides and other resources we provide for the class.
Course Curriculum and Contact Information
|Early Registration Fees (until June 4th)
$415 (Members) | $515 (Non-Member)
$515 (Members) | $615 (Non-Member)
We accept the following:
If you prefer to pay by check please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request to pay by check. Your registration will be completed manually and you will receive an email confirmation.
Mail Check To:
CFA Society of Los Angeles
13400 Riverside Drive, Ste. 215
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
*Credit card payments will only be accepted through the secure online registration, and not by phone or email.
Enrollee cancellations must be made in writing and received at least 5 business days before the first day of class. All cancellations will incur a $30.00 processing fee. If enrollment is cancelled after the 5-day deadline, a 50% cancellation fee will be charged.
Rama Malladi, CFA