The following Advisory Councils have been created to allow volunteers to participate in programs specific to their specialty.
The following Advisory Councils have been created to allow volunteers to participate in programs specific to their specialty. If you are interested in participating in a community, please contact the community leader listed below. If you are interested in participating in a community, please contact the community leader listed below.
Alternative Investments Advisory Council
Allen Kim, CFA
- Focuses on improving the basic understanding of the types and uses of alternative investments to CFA Charterholders and Candidates, the general investment public, and media
- Provides an avenue for the exchange of new ideas involving alternative investments
- Discusses, improves and proactively engages in the debate surrounding the special ethical circumstances that alternative investments often create
- Administers a CFA® Review Course for each level of the CFA Study and Examination Program
- The course is administered in partnership with the University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business (USC)
- Co-Directors review financials for the program, update the CFALA board, negotiate agreements, hire instructors, conduct approximately 4 orientations for new candidates, represent the program at the CFALA Career Expo, liaison with CFA Institute and approve all collateral material
- Committee members serve as coordinators at each level and administer the mentor program
- Lead Coordinators at each level set the class schedule, confirming an instructor and a coordinator for each class
- Coordinators represent the program at each class, at orientations, and at the Mentor Meet and Greet
- Runs from January through May for the June CFA Exam, and from August through November for the December CFA Exam
- Participation is heaviest when the review course is in session, but planning and preparation is year-round
Career Development Advisory Council
Roberto Hamilton, CFA
- Manages the job opportunities and listings that are posted on the CFALA website and coordinates the Annual Career Development Expo each spring
- Organize topical meetings on career programs throughout the year
- Organize Career Chat Series
- On-site participation at the Annual Career Expo may be required
- Primary months of planning for the Expo occurs from January to mid-April
- Participation is year-round
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Advisory Council
Jeff Kuhlman, CFA
Mary Machado Schammel
- Environmental, social, and governance (ESG) considerations are increasingly being integrated into investment analysis. Evaluating how ESG factors potentially affect a company may provide analysts with a broader perspective on the risks and investment opportunities of a company’s securities.
- Learn about ways in which companies can improve long-term performance by enhancing the value of all corporate stakeholders.
- Understand how to reduce portfolio risk by looking at factors beyond typical financial metrics.
- Discuss ways in which one can align their investments with their values.
FinTech Advisory Council
Cynthia Harrington, CFA
- Promotes and fosters opportunities for learning, idea sharing, and networking among our membership and the FinTech community.
- Members are distinguished practitioners with comprehensive expertise in every corner of finance.
- Share collective knowledge and practice experience and connect with similarly curious and passionate members of the FinTech community.
Professional Learning Advisory Council
Rama Malladi, CFA
- Develops professional learning programs, including seminars, Boot Camps, annual Fixed Income series, annual Alternative Investments series and other educational investment courses of interest to CFALA members.
- Serves as a liaison with local colleges and universities in sponsoring student participation in the Society’s programs.
- Professional Learning Chair approves all CFALA events for CFA Institute’s Professional Development Program (PL credits).
- Participation is ongoing throughout the year.
Private Wealth Management Advisory Council
Yves-Marc Courtines, CFA
- An educational forum for professionals associated with the Wealth Management industry
- Presents the annual Wealth Management Excellence Series with speaking and networking events that touch all aspects of Wealth Management (e.g., Personal Financial Advisory, Capital Market Forecasts, Investments, Trust and Estate Planning, Practice Management, FinTech)
- The Wealth Management League is a sub-group of the Private Wealth Management Advisory Council. Read the description HERE.
Santa Barbara Advisory Council
Falko Hoernicke, CFA
- A network for financial professionals living in the Santa Barbara and nearby counties
- Works toward providing educational and networking opportunities for CFA charterholders and other financial professionals
Women's Advisory Council
Arielle Bittoni, CFA
Mariya Entina, CFA
Lisa Fridman, CFA
Analisa Schaaf, CFA
- Provides a network of CFA charterholders and candidates to provide mentorship and advice
- Organizes panels, initiates discussion on social networks, mentors CFA candidates, and builds relationships at social events
- An inclusionary network with the objective of promoting professional support and brand awareness of CFALA through teaming within CFALA and other professional women's organizations
CIO Advisory Council
Zachary Ellison, CFA, CAIA