The Sentimental Markets Hypothesis: Temperamental Traders, Information Impact, and Patterns in Prices
An Applied Behavioral Finance Group Sponsored Event
Lunch, salad, and dessert will be catered by Mendocino Farms.
Most investors suspect that market psychology - such as cycles, greed and fear - influences asset prices, but there is little systematic research into why this occurs and how traders can take advantage of it. Evidence from the emerging field of sentiment analysis demonstrates the importance of media and information flow in fueling price patterns such as overreaction and underreaction. Sentiment refers to the feelings, attitudes, and beliefs of investors, and in this talk we demonstrate evidence that the sentiments evident in news and social media, and extracted through text analytics, can significantly lead price action.
This talk will help attendees:
- See how universal human neurocircuitry predisposes investors to collective risk-related behavioral patterns.
- Identify the information characteristics that trigger crowds to overreact or underreact to news.
- Learn how professionals are taking advantage of media sentiment across asset classes in strategies based on news momentum, trend-following, value investing, and bubble-timing.
- Understand when you should invest along with the herd, anticipate a turning point, and when it is best to take a contrarian approach.
- Use tools based on sentiment research to improve investment decision making.
$10 (Members) | $15 (Non-Member)
Click links for address and rates
Pershing Square Garage: Rates vary
Central Library Parking: Rates vary
Joe's Auto Parks: $12
Pacific Center Parking: $15
More Parking Options (Click link)
WARNING: Parking at Millennium Biltmore - $45 Daily Max; $4.50 each 15 minutes
We accept the following:
If you prefer to pay by check please register online and select "purchase order" as your payment option and enter your last name as the purchase order number.
Mail check to:
CFA Society of Los Angeles, 520 S. Grand Ave, Suite 655, Los Angeles CA 90071.
*Credit card payments will only be accepted through the secure online registration, and not by phone or email.
Cancellations must be received in writing by 9:00 am the day prior to the event. No phone cancellations are accepted. Please fax to the CFALA office at (213) 613-1233 or e-mail email@example.com. Member “no-shows” will be billed the non-member fee ($15) for the event which is posted on the CFALA website.
Stan Yang, CFA
|As a participant in the CFA Institute Approved-Provider Program, the CFA Society of Los Angeles has determined that this program qualifies for 1 credit hour. If you are a CFA Institute member, CE credit for your participation in this program will be automatically recorded in your CE Diary.|